Monday, August 12, 2013

Summer Vacation Prezi for Students



As summer begins to wind down, I thought I would play around with a new presentation tool I heard about at the MABE conference last spring, Prezi.  Some of you may have heard of Prezi, but if you have not, it is a free online presentation program that blows power point out of the water!  Unlike PowerPoint, which presents slides in a linear fashion, Prezi gives the creator a much more dynamic environment to work with resulting in a more interesting experience for the viewer i.e. my students.  The basic Prezi account is free, but educators with a school email can also get a free upgrade that gives you five times more storage, your own logo, and the option to make your presentations private.  I’m a big fan of keeping my presentations private since I may be making future Prezis with my students, or with pictures and names of my students.  I’m not really sure to what extent I will be incorporating Prezi into my lessons, but knowing they will not be available to the public gives me many more options. 
     As with any new program there was a slight learning curve as I adapted to this new paradigm of presentations and tested out how the program itself.  After playing around with the program for about 20 minutes I felt comfortable with the basics and decided to get started on a real Prezi.   Since I’m sure I will be discussing what I did this summer with my students, I decided that would be the topic of my fist Prezi.  I quickly found a template I thought was appropriate for my topic and got started.  Once I learned the basics it was really pretty easy and to be honest kind of fun making my presentation.  It’s not much, but here is my first Prezi, Mr. Van Over’s Summer.




If you are interested, I encourage you to check out the site.  My presentation only scratches the surface of the cool things you can do with Prezi.  I think your students will enjoy it and so will you.  Don’t forget to get the educator upgrade.  It’ free and only takes an extra minute to setup.

I’d love to hear from you!
Do you already use Prezi?  If so, what do you think?

How do you plan to use Prezi in your classroom this year?

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments: